Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Proof

Alli and I went to see Proof last weekend. Gwyneth Paltrow stars and is supported by Sir Anthony Hopkins, Jake Gyllenhall, and Hope Davis in this movie about...math. Based on David Auburn's award-winning play (in which Paltrow played the same role on the London stage), I wasn't sure what to expect from a movie about a mathematician gone mad.

However, in much the same vain as Good Will Hunting (one of my favorite movies of all-time, if not my favorite), the film is not nearly as much about the math ("sitting behind a desk and doing long division for the rest of my life" - Will Hunting), the movie focuses more around the relationships surrounding the main character, Catherine (Paltrow).

I'm not sure if I could do the plot justice if I tried to explain it. Hopkins plays the aforementioned "mathematician gone mad", her father, Gyllenhall plays (very well, I might add) a former student of her father's and her love interest, and Hope Davis plays Catherine's concerned sister.

Paltrow is a terrific actress and it is a shame that she hasn't done more in the last few years. John Madden, the director (who also directed her in Shakespeare in Love), gets the most out of Paltrow again and should again earn her a nomination from the Academy.

I really liked this movie. It has a very similar feel to Good Will Hunting without all the swearing (Note to Bravo, who is showing Good Will Hunting a lot lately: the movie is not nearly as authentic without all the swear words...just my opinion).

Proof succeeds as a film and I really enjoyed it.

IMDb rating: 8 out of 10.

No comments: