Friday, November 12, 2004

Academy Awards of 2004 (Thus Far)

Since most studios save their best movies for the end of the year (so they can stay fresh in the minds of the Academy voters), oftentimes good movies from earlier in the year get forgotten. The following movies are my thoughts on the five major categories of movies that (as of November 12) had been in theaters thus far this year (and I have seen):

BEST PICTURE:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Honorable Mention: The Notebook, The Incredibles

BEST ACTOR:
Johnny Depp, Finding Neverland
Honorable Mention: Brad Pitt, Troy; James Caviezel, The Passion of the Christ; Jim Carrey, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
BEST ACTRESS:
Uma Thurman, Kill Bill: Vol. 2
Honorable Mention: Kate Winslet, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

BEST DIRECTOR:
Mel Gibson, The Passion of the Christ

BEST SCREENPLAY:
Jared and Jerusha Hess, Napolean Dynamite
Honorable Mentions: Before Sunset, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Saved!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
James Garner, The Notebook
Honorable Mention: Jamie Foxx, Collateral

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Dakota Fanning, Man on Fire
Honorable Mention: Raquel Castro, Jersey Girl

BEST ANIMATED MOVIE:
The Incredibles

There are a bunch of movies that are either out now, or coming out that I really want to see and that I think can be really good. I'm really psyched to see Alexander. Ocean's Twelve looks good. I still really want to see Ray. I heard that Jamie Foxx's performance is spectacular.

Past that...I can't really think of anything...

No comments: