Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Apple / Intel

Snowballs are being thrown around in hell.

In a move that I can't really quite understand, yesterday, Steve Jobs announced that in the future, Apple Computers will be produced with Intel chips, abandoning their long relationship with IBM and their PowerPC chip.

I don't know why Apple would choose to do this, other than to increase marketshare more by going with a more widely accepted (and much cheaper) chipset for their computers...wait...I guess that's a pretty good idea.

And to be honest, I don't care. As long as OS X continues to rock the house as the best operating system on the planet, I will be happy. If they don't screw it up on the Intel boxes, they should be fine. I say, the more Mac users, the merrier.

UPDATE: Todd Dominey over at WhatDoIKnow.org has a great overview of the news. Explains a lot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It seems to me that there's one real good reason they did this: PowerBooks. Apple nuts have been clamoring for G5 PowerBooks for a long time. And it seems that this announcement is basically admitting that they weren't going to be able to do it, at least, not to Jobs' satisfaction. A new powerful notebook will be one of the first things we see out of this. Hopefully it will come just after my wife's ancient laptop dies!