Thursday, June 16, 2005

HOW Design Conference

Returned late last night from the HOW Design Conference in Chicago. It was a terrific show, filled with great speakers and insightful instruction. Plus, it was in my favorite big city in the U.S. Chicago is a town that has done the big city right. One morning, as Alli and I were walking around after grabbing breakfast at the Corner Bakery Cafe, we visited Millenium Park, which currently has a photographic/historical display of Chicago and its development. What always impresses me about the city of Chicago is how they manage to keep this booming metropolis clean and green like they do. Their downtown is beautiful, with gorgeous architecture that is highlighted by more common green space than I have seen in a big city.



We did all sorts of fun stuff in our down time, taking an architectural boat tour of Lake Michigan and the Chicago River (which was a lot of fun, even if I did get totally hosed), visiting Navy Pier, trying some original Chicago pizza. We also stayed in this great hotel with a terrific view from the 33rd floor.

Now, there's the possibility that my brother might be moving there for work, and I'm really excited for him. Not just because this is a huge opportunity for him, but also because I want to visit him lots. Out of all the major cities in America, Chicago is the one that I would live in. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

No comments: