Thursday, June 09, 2005

It's already too hot outside...it's MOVIE TIME!

Summer is really only good for one thing:

MOVIES.

It's too hot outside (KC is already recording those scorching 90 degree temperatures), so what is there to do but sit inside and blog blog blog? GO TO THE MOVIES!

There is a lot of stuff that I want to see out there this summer. Some of it is already out and some of it is getting ready to come out. Here's a brief listing of what I think looks like a fun outing to the movies:

Let's start with what's out already...

Madagascar
I like Dreamworks, even if Shark Tale was lame. Shrek still remains one of the greatest animated features of all-time. The cast is good (even if it does include Ben Stiller in his 647th role since 2002) and I think the concept sounds funny.

The Longest Yard
Adam Sandler and Chris Rock remake the classic (so I've heard). Football is cool and this movie has cameos out the wazoo. While the reviews on this have been lousy, it looks like a movie I could get into.

Crash
Paul Haggis, who brilliantly penned Million Dollar Baby, debuts as a director in this ensemble starring just about everyone in Hollywood, but particularly Sandra Bullock, Brendan Fraser, Ludacris, Ryan Phillippe, and one of the best actors of this era...Don Cheadle. The buzz on this movie (I can't believe I just typed that) is huge and it has been way under the radar, but everyone I've heard from that has seen it has said good things about it.

Lords of Dogtown
True story about three guys who revolutionized skateboarding forever...sure there was a documentary about them in 2001, but I think this dramatized version just looks more interesting.

And now for the coming attractions...

Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Despite all the extra-curricular news surrounding this movie, I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT. The chemistry between the two of them looks sizzling (unlike Brad and Julia in that awful movie about the gun) and lots of stuff gets blown up. Oh yeah, and Vince Vaughn is in it.

Batman Begins
LOOKS AWESOME. Batman drives a Hummer. Mrs. Tom Cruise and the dude from The Last Samurai. Word.

Bewitched
Will Ferrell and Nicole Kidman in an interesting take on a remake of the classic TV show. Will Ferrell is genius and I am really interested in seeing Nicole Kidman in a comedic role.

Fantastic Four
Comic book movies are awesome. I don't care what they are...you have a really good chance of being entertained.

The Dukes of Hazzard
Because any movie that has both Stifler and Johnny Knoxville is going to be good.

Valiant
Looks like a funny animated flick with Obi-Wan McGregor as the main voice.

The Island
Say what you want about Michael Bay, but he can make entertaining movies (see Bad Boys I&II). This movie looks a little Matrix-esque, but with Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johanssen (and some other good actors), I'm excited.

No comments: