Tuesday, October 05, 2004

It was a mostly good night...

Sure, I'm tired this morning, but I have to say, overall I had a pretty good night. My Chiefs won, on the road, against a tough Baltimore defense. Hope has returned to the fans of Kansas City. Last night's game was impressive. The Chiefs dominated both sides of the ball. The game was not as close as the 27-24 score would have you believe. Surprisingly, the last two games, our weakest aspect of the game hasn't necessarily been our defense, but rather our lousy special teams. Dante Hall is no longer a secret and no one wants to kick to him. Our coverage on kickoffs and punts stinks. And our punter is a guy we cut at the beginning of the season, but had to re-sign because the other guy got hurt in practice (how does a punter get hurt...really?).

Not only that, but I won our weekly poker game and now sit firmly in 2nd place in the Johnson County Tournament of Champions standings. Felt good. Played well. Got decent cards. Knocked my brother out, which is always fun. 2 out of 3 weeks, my buddy Mike and I have gone head-to-head in the finals. He won the first one, I won the 2nd. Seemingly one of us gets knocked out by the other every week. Last night wasn't the first time we've gone head-to-head and I doubt it will be the last.

About the "mostly a good night"...

Yesterday afternoon, my wife called me and told me that her grandfather was going to be having surgery today in Ohio to repair a valve that was keeping oxygen from his heart. So the end of the day was spent trying to find a flight for her and her mom that would get out yesterday or early today. We found a flight that left this AM and we got up at 4am to get to the airport and see them off. Just a minor contributor to the tiredness I would have felt anyway...I feel distracted and it's not even 8 in the morning yet.

But hey...what are you going to do?

No comments: