Friday, October 01, 2004

What's with all the boxes?

Just wondering...if we consider that software companies are taking over the world (isn't that right, Bill?), why in the world is it that they can't seem to fit their product into a normal sized box?

I just got Panther and iLife '04 for the PowerMac G4 that my brother was kind enough to donate to me. As I was sitting here surfing, I stared into the pile of empty boxes that sits in the recliner in my office and wondered to myself, Is it really that difficult to put all of the stuff into a smaller box?

I can't figure it out. Apple can fit an entire computer into this, but for some reason, they can't manage to make a piece of software that fits in something smaller than a Volkswagen.

People might argue that the documentation won't fit. For the money that they spend on these expensive booklets, they could include an extra (much smaller) disc that contains a massive PDF of all of their manuals, documentation, warranties, etc.

You might ask me, "why is it, Shane, that you keep all of these boxes that you so despise?" And that would be a good question, one that really has no answer. You never know when you'll need them I guess. Plus, I always know where to look for the serial numbers. Maybe I should throw them away...

But they're so pretty...

No comments: